Blog Disclaimer...Read before Proceeding!

BLOG DISCLAIMER... READ THIS BEFORE YOU READ THAT! As I read some of the posts I've written, I realize that they seem quite, well, gushy. Possibly even bordering on bragging over my children...you know, like when you get one of those Christmas letters that make the author's children sound like they deserve a Nobel prize and the title of Miss America all-in-one and you just want to toss your cookies... So here's the disclaimer. The warning. The "Proceed with Caution..." If you look at the little welcome message so cheerfully posted to the lower right, you will note that one of the primary purposes of this blog is that someday my children might read my thoughts and see how much I loved them. We all have these sentimental thoughts about our kiddos now and then. Yes. Even. You. I realize the boys I call my own are FAR from perfect...but they're mine. I love them, and I am proud of them...so only continue if you don't mind a gushy little story now and then. :) Have a great day...



Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Like Trying to Escape the Freight Train...

It's Coming. .  .  .
 Unless I figure out a way to halt time, the reality that I cannot avoid Saturday, May 7 forever is painfully clear.  Saturday is the designated day for the Indianapolis Mini Marathon.  This would not really be a big deal to me except for one minor detail... during a moment of complete and utter insanity I signed up to participate.  Why would I do such a thing?  Whatever could have possessed me to make such a decision???  A little review~
Anne called in November to see if I might be interested in doing the race with her this year (she did it last year and survived).  My gut reaction ~  NOOO WAY!!! What good could EVER EVER come from running 13.1 miles in ... a ... row???  But, (there's always a but, is there not??) 
*I was flattered she thought I might even possibly be capable of this feat
* I have gained pounds in my sedentary lifestyle that I thought might want to jump ship if I began running (No such luck, by the way, they seem to be exceedingly comfortable living with me!)
*I thought it might be an avenue to new shoes, and I LOVE new shoes! ( I got 2 new pairs of shoes, but I'm not yet sure that this is the best way to make that happen!)
* Mike said, and I quote: "I think it would be good for you," (He later acted shocked when I told him I'd signed up, and claimed he thought it would be good FOR me, not necessarily a good IDEA...I'm sure you can see how my misunderstanding occurred!)
* I wanted the kiddos to know that Daddy is not the only one who can exercise.
* I felt the "Now or Never" pressure ~ possibly never is not always bad!
The nerves are setting in.  I didn't sleep too well last night, I was dreaming and waking up with thoughts of the race.  I fear the humiliation of going so slow that the little golf cart comes to pick me up because I exceed the maximum time limit.  My body has proven that it is not quite so young and resilient as I had hoped ~ 34 is NOT the new 20, just so you know!
I fear getting lost, oversleeping and missing the start, under sleeping and being too tired, forgetting my shoes, broken down cars on the way, traffic jams, losing my ticket, looking rather stupid, slowing Anne WAY down,  and throwing up...to name just a few.
  In January I still had dreams of running an amazing race and finishing 10 minutes faster than my goal.  I invited much of my family to come be there at the end to witness my triumphant finish.  That dream has since turned into the previously mentioned nightmare, and I would like to request that everyone stay home, at least except for Mike ( he's my emergency contact, and I need him to hold my jacket!)

As I try to deal with this anxiety and still live daily life this week, I fully anticipate that tonight I will dream that I am tied to the train tracks as the freight train blows its horn wildly and is barrelling straight towards me...
I am trying to escape the Freight train...
 but it's turning into a big train car full of Sport Beans....
Possibly I should give up trying to live daily life this week and focus my attention solely on halting time...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I am totally laughing out loud. I feel your pain because I am having the exact same feelings. Think of it this way - time won't stop which means that eventually this will be history - hopefully a happy, pleasant history. :) In the meantime grab some sports beans from the freight train and use your extra energy to push the train out of your way.

Jennifer said...

I haven't laughed this hard in days!!! You're going to do fine...go out & enjoy it & if the golf cart comes by jump in & offer the driver some sport beans! Can't wait for a post race report.

Anonymous said...

Yahoo---I am writing this knowing that you not only ran, you rocked and RAN it!!!! What a victory to you and Anne. You are so lucky to have such a good friend to get you into such things and hang in there with you to the end! I am so proud of you! Way to hold to a commitment and hold on to your busy life too. Also it is fun to read your blog--how do we live so close and I learn so much about all of you on this blog? Had a great time the last couple days with you and Kelly. Love ya lots, Mom